Art Appreciation introduces the student to the importance of art in today’s world and the purposes art has served from prehistoric through modern times in a variety of cultures both Western and non-Western.
At the conclusion of this course, students should be able to
- Recognize and comment on different aspects of visual works such as painting, sculpture and architecture.
- Recognize and describe elements and principles of design in any artwork.
- Identify artists of the past and present and recognize and identify their works.
- Relate works of art to their historical and cultural settings.
- Express their own opinions through critique and discussion.
Homework and Reading Assignments: Students will read constantly, one or two chapters (if not more) per week in Art in Focus for discussion in class. Homework assignments include a critique and an original artwork with an oral presentation. In-class discussions are not graded for participation but are the basis for the essay questions on the tests.
Art Appreciation Syllabus
- Salem Community College Art Appreciation Syllabus
- Hendricks Art Appreciation Syllabus
- Joplin High School Syllabus
Art Appreciation Links
- A Survey Course in Western Art
- An Online Syllabus for a Course in Renaissance to Modern Art
- A virtual art appreciation text by John Sneed
- An index of free online courses in art history
- The Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History
Art Appreciation Videos
- Art Through Time, A Global View (13 min. segments)
- Robert Hughes: The Shock of the New (8 part series each episode 60 min.)
- An index of art videos/documentaries available online
- Art History Basics from Smart Academy
- Art 1010 A series of funny, short cartoons about art history
18 Semester Week Art Appreciation Schedule
Week 1 Introduction Methodology Paleolithic/Neolithic
Week 2 Ancient Near East Ancient Egypt Ancient China (smarthistory video)
Week 3 Ancient Greece (smarthistory video) Ancient Olmec TEST #1
Week 4 Etruscan Ancient Rome Project 1 Assigned
Week 5 Ancient Rome Ancient India Test #2
Week 6 Ancient Rome Mesoamerica (slideshare) Project 1 Due
Week 7 Early Christian Jewish Art (quizlet) Byzantine (quizlet) Buddhist Architecture (slideshare)
Week 8 Early Medieval (quizlet) Islam Romanesque Review (slideshare) MIDTERM EXAM
Week 9 Anglo-Saxon Gothic – French Late Gothic – Italian Project #2 Assigned
Week 10 Late Gothic – Northern Europe & Spain TEST #3
Week 11 Early & High Renaissance in Italy (Youtube playlist) Project #2 Due
Week 12 High Renaissance in Northern Europe & Spain
Week 13 Baroque and Rococo Impressionism Post Impressionism
Week 14 19th Century Art Japanese Woodcuts TEST #4
Week 15 Early 20th Century 1900-1945 Native American
Week 16 Modern Art American Architecture
Week 17 20th Century after 1945 African Art
Week 18 Review FINAL EXAM